Viridorari is an environmentally focused blog. The mission of Viridorari is to help you incorporate healthier, "greener" habits into your life, to benefit you, the people around you, and the environment.

Viridorari is on Twitter! Follow this blog with a mission to be up to date with what's new on Viridorari and the world of environmental activists @viridorari





Sunday, January 19, 2014

Climate March Update #3

Hi everyone! I have lots of exciting news with this update!

With only 41 days left to go before the march starts, it's crunch time! I'm so excited for the people who are starting in California, and I wish I could be there with them as they take their first steps. May 23rd cannot come soon enough!

The Climate March recently received a donation of $20,000 to go toward a food truck. That is half of the cost, and the march is currently looking for an organization or business to sponsor the other half. If you know an organization or business that might be interested, please email Zach Heffernen, the Marcher Director, at zach@climatemarch.org.

As for me, I have reached 25% of my fundraising goal! I owe a very special thank you to an anonymous donor who gave $500 to my cause. Your generosity is above and beyond and if you're reading this, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. You can view a running list of my donors on my CrowdRise fundraising page

I have also received two more gold sponsorships! One comes from the Ithaca Hemp Company in Ithaca, NY, near my college. Ithaca Hemp Company carries lots of awesome hemp products, including clothing. Hemp is one of the most versatile and sustainable materials out there, and can be used to make over 25,000 products! Unfortunately, hemp gets a bad rep because of its close relation to cannabis — or marijuana — and currently it is illegal to grow hemp in the United States. To learn more about hemp and all of its awesome benefits, check out this past Viridorari post. To learn more about Ithaca Hemp Company and all of their epic products, check out their website. Thank you, Ithaca Hemp Company, for becoming the first business to sponsor my march!

The second gold sponsorship comes from the Palmyra-Macedon Rotary Club. This sponsorship is very special to me because I have been involved with Interact and Rotary throughout my high school career. Interact, the high school version of Rotary, inspired a love of community service in me and taught me invaluable lessons about leadership. I have learned so much about myself through Interact, and I look forward to becoming a Rotary member someday. I am staying involved and participating in my college's Rotaract Club. It means the world to me that an organization that has influenced me so profoundly has made a generous contribution to my march — which I'm sure will be a life-changing experience that will develop me even further. Thank you, Palmyra-Macedon Rotary Club, for becoming the first organization to sponsor my march!


If you are interested in becoming a sponsor or know someone who might be, please email me at viridorari@yahoo.com. A silver sponsor donates 50 cents for every day I march ($81) and a gold sponsor donates $1 for every day I march ($162).

I have sent out sponsorship requests to all of the wineries and vineyards on Seneca Lake — the lake where I grew up. I hope these businesses will be interested in sponsoring me because I will be advocating for protecting the Finger Lakes region from hydraulic fracturing and liquified petroleum gas storage facilities, which subsequently benefits the wine and tourism industries of the Finger Lakes. These two industries are deeply intertwined, and the threat of fracking and LPG facilities have the potential to ruin both. The wine and tourism industries are crucial to New York's economic health, and we can't afford to mess them up!

To learn more about the threat of LPG storage facilities that Seneca Lake is currently facing, please visit www.gasfreeseneca.com and consider supporting the cause — one that is very near and dear to my heart.

I am now taking pre-orders for fundraising t-shirts. They will be green and they will say "I support Faith as she walks for the planet," picturing a map of the United States with a line showing my section of the march. I am selling t-shirts for $20, and my goal is to sell 50. If you want a t-shirt, please email me with your name, how many shirts you want, your size, and an address to ship the shirts to if I cannot give them to you in person. I will make sure everyone gets their shirts before I leave, an you can choose to pay before or after you receive your shirt. However, if you choose to pay after, please honor your commitment when the time comes.

The shirts will look something like this.

I am still selling the silicon Climate March bracelets for $2. Catalog orders from Nature's Vision fundraising are still available. View the catalog here.

Lastly, if you want to receive postcards from all the cities I stop in as I march, please email me and let me know! I am asking for a $15 donation to cover the costs of postage and cards. Please keep your postcard money separate from any other donations you give.

Stay tuned on Viridorari for more updates on the march and my fundraising efforts! Thank you for all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment